Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spring is Even Better With Dexter

Today we finally experienced our first warm day in weeks. After taking Jack for a short ride through the Forbidden Forest, I decided to play with Dexter outside by doing some ground work exercises. Ropes have been particularly challenging for him so I spent a lot of time just throwing the rope over his body from both sides until he showed me signs of relaxation. We also did a lot of lateral flexing which he seemed to know pretty well so I added disengaging his hind end while he was flexed. It wasn't pretty in the beginning but we worked it through until he seemed to grasp the concept.

Once Dexter understands what I am asking him to do, he is extremely willing. I don't know too much about his prior training and handling so it is possible, he has been taught some of these exercises in his previous lives. In any case, he just gets better every time I handle him.

Most horse folks don't realize that every time they handle their horse, they are training it - good or bad; and that it takes consistent, regular handling to make a good horse and keep them there. As Clinton Anderson likes to say, "Horses don't train themselves standing out in a pasture".

Happy Spring,
Tovie, Gord & Dexter

No comments: