Friday, June 12, 2015

"The" Fonz is Pretty Cool

This past week I have been able to play with Fonzie every day - even if only for a few minutes. After a couple of fairly intense round pen sessions, he started to get a little cagey about catching so I completely changed my strategy. The next few times I went out to the pasture, I just haltered him, TTouched, gave him a treat and either let him go or asked him to do a few circles at the walk and trot before turning him loose. That seemed to make all the difference because he now walks right over when he sees me coming. It is encouraging to think he is enjoying our sessions. Skeeter and Dexter for the most part seem to be calmly moving out of Fonzie's way. Aside from Skeeter letting out the occasional squeal, he seems happy enough to let Fonzie be the new herd boss.

This week Fonzie and I have been improving our round pen communication with regard to transitions and changing directions and every day he gets better. Never once has he exhibited any ear pinning, kicking out or general disrespect when I increase the pressure. He is still very uncomfortable with me being on his right, or off, side which is very common to many horses I encounter. Needless to say, I do twice as much on that side to help him become more emotionally balanced.

Fonzie had a chance to come into the barn to play with the toys; large horseman's ball, bag of tin cans, hoola hoop, and tarp. Definitely showing more curiosity than fear which is something I didn't expect - he is showing a lot of courage. The barn is my playhouse and the arena is my sandbox and I am too darn old to grow up now.

When Fonzie is not grazing, his head is very high in the air. While he looks very proud, his neck muscles are extremely tight. He is enjoying the TTouch and it is definitely helping him relax and lower that head. Clicker training has not been a useful tool for Fonzie because he is not treat motivated and will often not take a treat when offered. He does like his itchy spots tended to though so if I do mark a behavior with a click, I will skritch him instead of treat him.

Yesterday I asked him to park at the mounting block because I am old and stiff and it makes it so much easier to mount. On the left side, he is fantastic but still very wary about parking on the right side. Once he was consistently standing quietly at the mounting block, I jumped up and laid across his back. Then while standing on the mounting block, I lifted my leg and rubbed it all over his back and butt. This morning, after a very nice round pen session, when he parked at the mounting block I couldn't help myself and just had to get on him. We walked around the round pen and then practiced halting and steering. He did everything extremely well.

It is now pouring rain and while we desperately needed it, I hope it will stop soon so we can continue this wonderful journey. I am totally pumped to get him saddled this weekend.

Happy Friday
Tovie and The Fonz

1 comment:

holiday apartment rentals said...

Nice blog.Thank you so much for share.