Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Life with Fonzie 10 days in...

When Fonzie first arrived, we put him in a wooden rail paddock and had our very easy going gelding Jack, in the paddock beside him for company and they quickly became friends. My only interaction with Fonzie the first couple of days was to go in and scoop poop, hang hay bags and observe. Fonzie was extremely standoffish toward me and showed very little interest in food which actually started causing me concern.

Every couple of days I switched out the horse in the neighboring paddock to give Fonzie a chance to get to know each horse away from the herd. Finally it was time to introduce Fonzie to Skeeter and let these two dominant horses get acquainted safely. The paddocks are situated near my open bedroom window, giving me comfort that I will hear any commotion. Early one morning I was awakened to Fonzie racing around the paddock and whinnying loudly and Skeeter had pushed the gate open and was long gone. Since Fonzie's introduction to the other horses had been uneventful, I made the decision to turn Fonzie out to the pasture with the rest of the herd and watch them closely.

It was a breathtaking sight to watch Fonzie race around the perimeter of the 14 acre pasture with head and tail held high; and the other "Boys" racing close behind him. After a couple of laps and a couple of squeals however, the excitement died down and they all went back to grazing peacefully. I was actually quite surprised how welcoming our "boys" were - even bossy Skeeter.

Every now and then I notice Navar going over to check Fonzie out but Skeeter and Dexter, side by side, run interference between Navar and Fonzie - quite fascinating. It is almost as though they are protective of Navar.

Knowing that catching Fonzie had been a challenge on occassion, all my efforts to date have been to create draw. Even after putting the halter on him, all I have been doing is scratching his itchy parts, giving him a treat and then taking the halter off and leaving. That strategy is working well because every day he is showing more interest in me and other people. Now I am starting to ask him to move hips and shoulders without a halter and he is yielding nicely without feeling the need to leave.

Wendy wasn't sure how often Fonzie had been inside a barn so the last couple of days I have been bringing him into the barn for grooming and goodies. It helps that he and Jack have become buddies; and Jack is always happy to come into the barn to keep Fonzie company.

I worry a lot when introducing new horses so it is a huge relief to see the herd settled for the most part, and without any injuries.

Fonzie seems quite content to be one of the "boys".

Tovie and the "Boys"

No comments: