Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Feeling a Bit Like a Horse Theif

What can I say - I adore The Fonze. Last Sunday, between bouts of rain, I decided I simply had to saddle Fonzie up and go for a ride. Obviously, I did some ground work first to make sure he was relaxed and that I had his undivided attention. Then we went into the barn and he stood quietly for saddling. To me this is a very important first step for my safety. If my horse won't stand still and relaxed for saddling or mounting, those are clues that he isn't ready for me to get on his back.

I chose to use my orthoflex endurance type saddle with English style billets and girth; the moveable panels readily adjust for a variety of backs and Fonzie has a lovely broad back. Next, I decided to use the TTouch lindell sidepull with joined rope reins. I didn't want to use a bit until Fonzie's vet visit next week where he will have a good check up and get his teeth checked to make absolute sure his mouth is comfortable.

Fonzie took on everything like a pro. It is considerate to tighten the cinch/girth incrementally; initially, I tighten it only snug enough to prevent it from slipping if he jumps and then I check it once more before leaving the barn and then once more before mounting. I never tighten the saddle completely in one go.

Fonzie was a perfect gentleman and parked at the mounting block for me to mount. Some folks see using a mounting block, log, or rock as a sign of weakness, however I see it as an act of consideration. I am not an agile spring chicken anymore and heaving my carcass up there creates twist and torque on the saddle, making the horse have to brace for balance. Perhaps that is why all our horses are happy to park at anything for mounting.

Once mounted, I asked Fonzie to walk, trot and canter, halt and back up and he did everything very well. In fact, he had the most beautiful rocking chair canter that I could have cantered forever. If my recollection is correct, Fonzie hasn't been ridden much if at all for at least 6 years so I was pleasantly surprised how relaxed and willing he was.

Fonzie's head carriage is perpetually up in the air and because of this, his neck muscles are extremely stiff and I'm certain this stiffness transfers throughout his body, which I believe is a contributing factor to his previously explosive reactions under saddle. Currently, it is nearly impossible to bend Fonzie's neck for lateral flexion or even to bend his head and body around a corner. I am doing lots of TTouch on him, and wrapped him with tensor bandages to give him a new awareness of his neck. He is gradually starting to lower that head to a more relaxed position which I believe will improve his movement under saddle tremendously. I am also going to ask Janina Zabel of TLC Equine Body Work to work on him; and my vet, Dennis Rach is an equine chiropractor so I'll have him check Fonzie next week.

My girlfriend's Sherri and Lisa were out on Sunday with their horses so after my ride in the outdoor arena, I asked them if they'd like to come with me for a ride through the trails to see how Fonzie would be outside of the arena. We tried him behind Jack and Magnum, between them, and then leading them - he never took one misstep - even with deer wandering about.

I admit to not being an overly confident rider which is why I believe so strongly in effective ground work. Fonzie's lack of suppleness throughout his neck and body restrict my ability to disengage his hind end if something were to happen so won't feel completely confident with him until I find a way to teach him how to carry himself in a relaxed manner. Having said that - couldn't be happier with the changes I am seeing in him so far.

Reflecting on the horse Wendy dropped off to the horse he is quickly becoming - this is my current evaluation of what I know. Fonzie's previous pasture mate was a mare and some geldings still have stud behaviour that make it very challenging to take them away for a ride. I think it is definitely helping him to be in a herd of geldings only. After a few painful falls, it became difficult for Wendy to trust him and then it is nearly impossible to sell a horse you don't trust. I tell all my students not to ever get on a horse if the owner of the horse won't get on first. If Wendy had wanted to sell Fonzie - selling him cheap could mean a one-way ticket to the meat plant. She kept him all these years because at least she knew he was safe and cared for.

This experience with Fonzie has been so rewarding that I can't thank Wendy enough for trusting me with him. My agreement with Wendy is that she surrendered her horse to me and I will take whatever time it takes to turn Fonzie into a happy, safe, reliable riding companion. Whenever I feel the time is right, he will be sold with a full money-back guarantee that he leaves my place happy and sound. If, for any reason, things don't work out the buyer is welcome to bring him back - no questions asked. Sometimes, it simply isn't a good fit and that doesn't make anyone wrong - not the horse, the seller, or the buyer.

Thank you Wendy and Fonzie for another wonderful horse experience!
Tovie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You rock my friend. Love what you do!

Lena