Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Praying for an Indian Summer

It is hard to believe how long it has been since my last entry. This has truly been a dismal horse season - the worst I can remember since getting involved with horses. The combination of wet, unsafe footing, as well as Jack's and Nugget's health issues, has really curbed my riding this year. The good thing about taking a break is that Gord and I got in lots of salmon fishing on the west coast; and I was able to complete 4 books this summer.

I also celebrated my 50th Birthday in August - who knew 50 could feel this good.

Now we're back in the saddle, so to speak. The arena has finally dried out and that has allowed me to play with Dexter every day. Consistent work is definitely paying off and I've now started to ride him. He stands quietly and confidently at the mounting block - the first thing I expect from any horse I plan to ride.

Dexter is a naturally energetic horse and his typical response when pressured to move faster, was to overreact and flee. What I saw, was a horse that would bolt under saddle at the slightest provocation. It has been my experience that many horses who are quiet at the stand still or slower gaits will overreact at the faster gaits. To help our horses continue to "think" under pressure or at higher gaits, we have to show them they can go fast and feel safe. The only way to do this is to ask them to move their feet and allow them to work through their uncertainty. This can result in bucking, kicking out, or even standing to challeng the handler. We have to permit them to work through their reaction with our primary focus being on our safety. Initially, I only asked Dexter for a canter departure and immediately shut him down. When he was taking the canter departure well, I asked him to take a couple of strides before shutting him down. We have now built that into a complete circle and "C" pattern at the lope. Needless to say, I won't be asking him to lope until he is 100% comfortable about picking up the lope in both directions.

I am not a cowboy and am not training Dexter for a living, or to make a point. It doesn't matter to me how long this process takes - what does matter to me is my relationship with Dexter. The only way I can preserve our relationship through the training process is by only working at a level comfortable for me and Dexter.

There are days when I am so excited to just get on and go then I consider Dexter's history and his long term riding career; and that prevents me from pushing either of us into unsafe territory.

Enjoy a glorious fall!
Tovie, Gord, Ryder, Clover, and the "Boys"

1 comment:

lena said...

you say your not a cowboy but you sure are a cowgirl in my books.... ;-)