Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Life Is About Learning & Teaching

Since it's inception in 2007, Just Horsing Around has brought many wonderful folks our way. Marilyn Herasymowich and Henry Senko are two of those very special people. When I was just starting out, the Calgary Herald published an article about our program; and Marilyn and Henry were two of the first students who showed up to take my course. Marilyn was quite nervous around horses and Henry wasn't really interested in them, but came along to humour Marilyn.

During the first session, a general introduction and overview of horses, I noticed Marilyn & Henry exchanging knowing glances. After the session was over, they informed me that my method of teaching was very closely aligned with their work through MHA Institute. Since that fortuitous first meeting, we went on to study each other's work and were amazed at the similarities of teaching people and horses.

MHA Institute offers a continuing education program through the U of A. Henry and Marilyn invited me to participate as a guest speaker in their Learning Styles session. All I had to do was tell stories of my learning experiences as they realted to troubled horses, specifically Nugget and Dexter. Anyone who knows me, can attest to my eagerness to share their stories - horses that other trainers had been unsuccessful with. More specific to Marilyn and Henry's work, is the process used to teach those more challenging horses. Creating an environment of physcological safety being the most important aspect to bringing out the best in all our horses. When horses are pressured into survival anxiety during the training process, they are incapable of learning and retaining what we are trying to teach them.

It is important to me, that I am able to create that same environment for the folks who come to learn about horses.

Happy Indian Summer!
Tovie

No comments: