Sunday, September 25, 2011

Happy Trails with Dexter

Yes, I am finally riding Dexter. The process was hugely delayed by the flooding that started in June. Our arena and round pen didn't dry up until mid September. We might get one dry day and then another rain storm would put it all under water again.

Although I have done extensive ground work with Dexter to prepare him for riding, his highly energetic nature made me exceptionally cautious. Having turned 50 this year and not being the bravest of souls, it was important for me to have an area with good footing to work in; just in case things went awry.

Well things didn't go awry. In fact, as with everything I've thrown at that little horse, he took it all in stride.

From the very first time I met Dexter, he has shown improvement every time I've played with him (except for a minor 3-day blip), and riding him has been no different. The first ride, he just moved around and got used to the feel of carrying a rider. The second ride, I added some leg pressure to turn and move on. On the third ride, I started steering him with the reins (halter/hackamore).

I have only ridden him bareback so I could easily slide off if need be, so the next step will be to saddle him up and ask more of him.

Hopefully, we'll have a mild winter so I can keep him progressing because I can't wait to take him to the mountains for a trail ride.





Tovie & Dexter
(Click Here to see a UTube of the ride)

No comments: