Thursday, February 3, 2011

Asking More of Dexter

I missed getting out to see Dexter during the bitter cold snap we had recently. Thankfully, the worst is over and we're back on track. Tuesday afternoon, I arrived right at feeding time so wasn't sure what to expect. Dexter came right over and allowed me to halter him. Even though he was somewhat distracted by the feed, he led up nicely and moved his shoulders and hips on both sides - a brief 10 minutes turned into another productive visit.

When Gord and I figured out how much actual time I am spending with Dexter, it turns out that the average visit has been 20 minutes in duration. It is surprising to see how much can be accommplished in a short amount of time.

Yesterday, I led him into a separate pasture to get him away from his buddies. He is leading up much better and only balks occasionally and not as long. I just wait him out and give him a chance to want to be with me and he hasn't let me down yet.

My goal was to start sending him in small circles around me. Initially, he was wary of my horseman's stick and became quite reactive. It was important that I not let go of him because he has already learned that he can run off. Unfortunately, at one point I clumsily dropped the rope while he was standing quietly and when I calmly went to retrieve it, he startled and ran off. Needless to say, I was kicking myself for being so awkward. The exciting result was, that after he ran around the pasture a couple of times, he came trotting right back to me and we carried on as if nothing had happened.

We ended the 1/2 hour session with Dexter calmly departing at a walk in both directions.

Horses typically let you know what they thought of their previous experience by how they respond the second time. I can't wait to get out there this afternoon to see where he's at.

Dexter is a very forgiving teacher!
Tovie & Dexter

1 comment:

Lena said...

The new Horse Whisperer! He!he!