Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Jason McKenzie Custom Made Saddles

On a quick trip to The Mill Store near Okotoks to pick up some de-wormers, I saw a beautiful hand made saddle for sale on consignment. The quality and workmanship were so obvious that I decided to take them up on their 3 day full return trial and give it a try. The minute my butt settled into that saddle, I knew it was a saddle I had to own. The saddle maker stamps were Roy McCaughey and Jason McKenzie. I learned later on, after meeting Jason McKanzie at a trade show in Red Deer, that he apprenticed under Roy McCaughey and that I had one of the saddles they made together.

As much as I loved this saddle, it quickly became obvious that Dexter was less enthused than I due to the longer square skirts. Dexter had a beautiful short, strong back, but it became apparent when asking him to turn, that the skirt was inhibiting his desire to make sharp turns.

When considering a saddle that was right for Dexter, I had a vision of the perfect saddle - an SS Lightweight made by Jason McKenzie. However, at the time it was cost prohibitive so instead, I opted for a saddle made by JD at Eamors in Nanton. JD was terrific to work with and he made a beautiful saddle that fit Dexter and me perfectly. As beautiful as it was; and at a reasonable price, the workmanship, weight and colour, were not exactly what I had envisioned. And so I continued to dream of an SS Lightweight made by Jason McKenzie. After coming into an unexpected financial win fall earlier this year, I decided to go ahead and order a saddle designed and built specifically for my beloved Dexter. Unfortunately, It was only a couple weeks after finalizing the perfect design and sending in the deposit, that Dexter's tragic accident occurred. Dexter's death completely took away my enthusiasm for my new saddle and everything was put on hold.

After spending much needed quality time with Navar, enthusiasm for my new saddle eventually returned with some major changes. To me Dexter was the most beautiful horse on earth but in reality, he was a rather ordinary, solid chestnut. The saddle I envisioned for him was a flashy two tone with brass fittings. However, Navar, being a gorgeous grullo, was the flash; and so I opted for a more subdued design that wouldn't compete with his colour and good looks. Then another tragedy - shortly after making changes to the design, Navar was catastrophically injured on the barb wire fence and we seriously considered euthanizing him. I started to think of this saddle as the kiss of death and once again, completely lost my enthusiasm for it.

Jason however, never lost his enthusiasm and coincidentally shipped my JM McKenzie saddle on my birthday in August. We were both pleasantly surprised by his inexplicable timing.

My new saddle was definitely worth the wait; even though the US dollar exchange was a kick in the butt. Jason's workmanship is unparalleled and the lightweight design is much easier for me. Being a bit of a matching fanatic, I also ordered matching slobber straps, breast collar, headstall and saddle bags and I absolutely love every single piece.

This beautiful saddle was a much needed boost for my spirits this year. By the way Navar is coming along - I would have to say he agrees.

Tovie and Navar

No comments: