Wednesday, August 24, 2016

It Is A Beautiful Scar

As if losing Jack in January and Dexter in March wasn’t enough tragedy this year, on April 11th I came home to find my beautiful Navar with a catastrophic injury to his right hind leg. From what we could piece together, he likely kicked over the barb wire fence while frolicking with the neighbour’s mare. The second top strand of wire had come down from 20 posts without breaking.

After calling the vet and getting the halter on him, I managed to bring him in from the field. Walking backwards seemed easier for him than walking forward so I was terrified he had suffered severe tendon damage.

April 11th - This first photo shows the injury after the vet had cleaned it up. She determined he had a small puncture in the synovial bursa which she flushed with antibiotics; and a small slice to the tendon sheath but the tendon itself was fine. She advised that if infection settled into either of those areas, his chance for a full recovery would be slim. While there was very little bleeding, the wound was horrific. Taking into consideration the potential months of tending; a more than likely hideous scar and more importantly, impossible to know if he would ever be sound; I seriously considered euthanization. The vet suggested giving him a chance and advised that any infection would likely show up within a couple of weeks. So we went to work…

The vet recommended stall confinement for at least 2 months so we constructed a very small stall within a paddock that had a shelter. We attached a tasty play toy and a salt lick to the wall; filled the shelter area with shavings and put down a thick rubber mat outside the shelter. Gord even hooked up a hose from the automatic waterer so I wouldn’t have to haul water buckets. It was quite a dance in that little stall during cleaning but Navar was very tidy and always pooped neatly in the same spot.
The day after the injury, I googled “catastrophic hock injury” and came across Dr. Jolly DVM at Step Ahead Farm in Arkansas. I wouldn’t recommend going to his web-site unless you have a strong stomach – Navar’s wound looked like a scratch by comparison to the wounds he depicts on his web-site. Dr. Jolly offers the first consultation free so I sent photos, along with the findings from our local vet.
Dr. Jolly has had tremendous success healing horrific injuries using foal placenta. His goal is to help a wound heal so the horse is sound and has the most aesthetically pleasing outcome possible. For $129.00 USD, he sent me a complete package by overnight collect courier of everything I would need to get Navar’s healing well on its way. The package included all the bandaging material and a how-to bandage DVD for the hock; a DVD depicting a case study similar to Navar’s, his recommended wound wash and ointment – yes $129.00 USD. I should also mention that 5 consultations were $35.00 USD – remember the first consult was free.
The cost for two visits from my local vet, along with 5 days of antibiotic, was $1,200.00. The second visit was a recommended follow-up that, in hind sight, wasn’t at all necessary.

May 5th
As the wound changed throughout the healing process, Dr. Jolly reviewed my photos and always took the time to discuss what was going on and encourage me to stay the course. I am sure his support saved me at least 4 additional farm visits – yes $35.00 USD for 5 consultations – I paid for two sets of 5 ($70.00 USD).



There were so many silver linings, in what initially seemed like another tragedy, that I just had to list them:

1.     The fantastic spring weather made it more than pleasant to do the 3 X daily stall cleaning, feeding and daily re-bandaging; and the water wasn’t freezing.
2.     Gord’s ingenuity to whip up a perfect stall, make watering easy, and just being there to think through and help out with whatever came up.
3.     An extremely mild winter meant our hay shed was still full.
4.     Having Leopold locked up to keep Navar company, gave me ample opportunity to fatten him up; and gave his multiple Skeeter bite marks a chance to heal.
5.     Finding Dr. Jolly’s web-site gave me a tremendous education about wound healing.
6.     It was foaling season and a friend who works nearby at a breeding facility provided me with all the fresh placenta I needed – even have extra in the freezer that I hope I never need.
7.     Navar reminded me what a beautiful, sweet, well behaved horse he is; reassuring me there will be more fun to come after Dexter.
8.     The support we received from dear friends allowed me to attend my daughter’s wedding overseas without a second thought:
·       Uli - came early every morning on her way to work to scoop and feed,
·       Lisa - came every day around lunch to scoop and feed,
·       Jane - came later every afternoon to scoop and feed,
·       Lena filled in for the mornings Uli was away,
·       Mark & Sherri who lovingly cared for our dog and came every night to haul poop away, debride (pick scabs) re-bandage, cut lawn, etc., etc., etc. Even staying late to feed so it wouldn’t be too long between the early morning feed.
9.     Clicker training – absolutely made it possible to pick scabs and re-bandage, day after day; without anyone getting kicked or stepped on. It was also instrumental during the twice daily physio that started around 6 weeks in; when we flexed his hind leg to his belly and stretched it out behind him to ensure the wound healed properly – just more clicker tricks in Navar’s mind.
 
August 21st - While Sherri’s patient, loving attention to Navar’s wound was absolutely vital to the amazing outcome; it wouldn’t have been possible without the help of each person who pitched in throughout the days we were away. There are no words to express the gratitude I feel for their care of Navar. I will definitely look forward to paying their kindness forward whenever the opportunity presents.

I was showing one of my colleagues at the office before and after photos and he made the comment about it being a beautiful scar (hence the name of this blog post). I didn't want to post this blog until it was completely healed but simply couldn't wait to share this. We are shooting for a complete healing by September 11th - 5 months. I have been riding Navar for the past few weeks without a bit of a hitch in his step.
I would never have wished for this injury but it really is turning into a beautiful scar.
Looking forward to many Happy Trails!
Tovie and Navar
 

1 comment:

Uli Payer said...

My dear friend,
I haven't read your blog in a while and just now came across your most recent post. You know this already, but I just wanted to tell you once more that you have my utmost respect and admiration for giving Navar a chance to heal and recover from this traumatic injury. You knew how much time and hard work it would take to get him through this, and you were willing to take on this enormous task without any guarantee of success. Kudos to you! It makes me so happy to see you ride him now with such joy - you two make a beautiful team and I know you will accomplish amazing things together. I hope your story will encourage horse owners who find themselves in a similar situation to not give up on their four-legged friends but to give them a chance, regardless of how unlikely a happy ending may seem.