Thursday, August 9, 2018

Graceful Healing

I met Ellen Equable several years ago on a flight from Calgary to Toronto. We were seated across the aisle from each other and while I don't remember how we started chatting - chat we did for the entire flight. Since that chance encounter, Ellen has helped us sort out a couple of critter issues by helping our cats, Buster and Mojo, find their way to get along. Then there was the "chat" she had with Magic, only to discover he had a fear of cougars. When he was tied too short and couldn't turn his head to see behind him, he would panic and pull back violently. Since then we now ground tie him or tie him longer and he has not pulled back since then.

Ellen contacted me a couple of months ago to ask if I would host a healing session, with our horses, for folks wanting help to neutralize negative energy in their lives. In June we set up the first session in our outdoor arena using barrels to create a safe zone for folks. The idea was that we would seat ourselves in a circle and the horses would be turned lose in the arena to do as they pleased. The first astounding thing that happened when Ellen sat down was that Magic came straight over to her and seemingly hugged her with his head and neck - a truly touching moment.

The other participants had little to no experience with horses so it was remarkable to see how the horses responded to them. A couple of the horses laid down and allowed complete strangers to approach them. My friend's horse Magnum is a bit of loaner and during one participant's session, he walked over to her and calmly stood beside her the entire time. I asked Ellen to help me clear the shame and grief I was still carrying since Dexter's death so I could allow myself to better connect with Navar. Surprisingly, Navar laid down during my entire session and leaned his body against my lower legs as if grounding me. The other participants stated that not one horse moved a hair until my session was over.

Navar was a horse I bought as a yearling because of his beautiful colour. It was shortly after acquiring Navar that Dexter came into my life and stole my heart. While Navar was loved and well cared for, I just couldn't seem to feel a bond for him. He has always been willing enough and is a sweet, sensible horse but I wanted to develop more of a connection with him. After my healing session with Ellen, I immediately started to notice small changes in my interactions with Navar. He has never been hard to catch but has also not offered to come meet me in the field. Two days after Ellen's visit, he came in from the field to greet me as I came through the gate. In the past, when I was leading him, he would balk and have to be encouraged to come with me. He has not balked once since my healing session. And our rides together have gone from OK to wonderful. We are doing things together with a mutual trust and respect I have experienced with other horses but didn't think it possible with Navar.

In July we conducted another session that was again, truly remarkable. This time I participated as an observer only. It was amazing to witness how different horses responded to different people. The horses are at liberty (free to come and go as they please) and yet they chose to encircle our group. During individual healing sessions, one horse would see their way to stand next to the participant, as tho a sentinel for that person. Magnum, Jack, Magic and Fonzi each chose to be with a particular person during their healing session. Very cool for me was that I felt Navar close to me most of the day, thereby solidifying my bond with him.

Thank you Ellen for your dedication and enthusiasm to help folks find their inner peace.

Tovie, Navar and the rest of the Boys!

No comments: