Monday, October 19, 2015

Life is Good

Since my last post I have managed to ride Leopold every day without incident. After the one episode of crow hopping with the saddle, he has never offered to do anything remotely silly again. Saturday morning we even progressed to a canter without incident. During the first few rides, I prefer to use the halter or side pull (bitless) but I found it difficult to soften Leopold at the poll for vertical flexion. Yesterday I decided to see how he goes in the mylar bit. Once again Leopold didn't disappoint. He responds nicely to the bit and flexed beautiful through the poll.

Sherri came out to ride Magnum while I was riding Leopold in the round pen. The weather was a balmy 20 above and Leopold was super calm and responsive and so we decided to see how he would do out on the trails and in the back hay field - FANTASTIC! Leopold was relaxed and confident and actually took the lead away from good ole' Magnum who got stuck and didn't want to go into the trees. Nothing is perfect and my only complaint is that the trees on the trails seem much lower when riding taller horses. We did some walk/trot transitions out in the field and we practiced our leg yields while riding down the road.

Hopefully this dry footing continues so we can get a few more rides in before the snow flies.

Tovie and Leopold the Great!

No comments: