Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Calgary Stampede Heavy Horse Pull

This year I had an opportunity to be involved with the Heavy Horse Pull competition in a very surprising way. Earlier in the week I agreed to help out with the sponsorship auction. The heavy horse pull competition runs the lightweights Friday (keeping in mind these are draft horse lightweights and not puny in the least), the middle weights on Saturday, and the heavy weights compete Sunday. Due to the slump in the local economy, attendance of registered bidders was way down from the past couple of years. I learned that in previous years, the bids are upwards of $4,000.00 to sponsor a team; however, this year they were having a hard time garnering $500.00 for a team.

My impulsive nature took over and I soon found myself with a bid card and visualizing my "Just Horsing Around" banner displayed for all to see. By the time I got organized with a bid card, the light weights had all been sponsored. I really didn't think I had a chance once the really big horses started coming up for auction but it was so much fun bidding on everything until they went past $500.00. It was funny to see the relief on tourists' faces when you explained the horses weren't being auctioned off for these ridiculously low prices; but rather sponsorship.

Then 10 teams of heavy weights came into the ring. The first highest bidder had their choice of all the teams and then each team was auctioned off separately. There was a beautiful team of percherons that I simply couldn't take my eyes off. Bubba and Jake looked happy and relaxed, had gorgeous draft horse feet (not something I see enough of), and shone with good health. I accidentally bid past my $500.00 limit and paid $700.00 but it was worth every penny to support this beautiful team. Ron Martinson was the Teamster and he was so appreciative for my support of what I considered to be a measly bid; considering the half he receives doesn't even pay the cost of special traction shoeing required to compete.

With my winning bid, Gord and I were invited to the VIP lounge for dinner and drinks prior to the event; VIP seating to watch the spectacle; and then a VIP Award Reception afterwards to celebrate with our Teamster.

Bubba and Jake came in a respectable 3rd place; pulling 11,000 lbs 22 inches. Ron said that was the most weight Bubba and Jake had ever pulled and he was so very proud of them. The second place team was disqualified for stepping out of boundary at 12,000 lbs. The winning Belgian team were from the Airdrie area, and pulled an impressive 12,000 lbs - 14 feet.

Given that Bubba and Jack lost nearly 100 lbs during their 3 days of travel from Oregon, combined with the altitude difference, I was bursting with pride to be associated with them in such a small way.

Our friends Mark & Sherri and Lena also came to cheer on Bubba and Jake. Not knowing there is such a thing as competition etiquette, I was shushed a couple of times for cheering. Then I learned that you are not to distract the team by cheering until the team is completely unhitched after their allotted two tries. The ladies who educated me were most helpful and it turned out their two teams were my competition and we had a great time cheering for each other's teams.

Teamster Ron Martinson and his daughter Shanah were so gracious and made an already special experience that much better for Gord and I. We traded contact information so Gord can put our footage of their pulls; together with Mark and Sherri's footage, on a DVD that we will send to Oregon.

At the reception after the event, awards were presented to all the winners and Ron Martinson was awarded Class of the Class; recognizing his exceptional horsemanship and sportsmanship throughout the competition. Ron was presented with a beautiful 2015 Stampede buckel, as well as a monetary reward; and we were delighted to celebrate with him.

53 Stampedes now and they just keep getting more fun!

Jack, Bubba, Ron, Shanah, Gord and Tovie
Ya Hoo!

No comments: