Saturday, June 1, 2013

Maestro's Trubador (aka Dollar)

Dollar (formerly Trooper), is a beautiful registered, chestnut Saddle bred, who just turned 4 on May 8th, and has changed owners 4 times. My first encounter with Trooper was several months ago, when his well intentioned owner realized she did not have enough experience for such a young; and she called me for help. We had a couple of sessions and while she was already familiar with clicker training for dogs, she discovered the power of clicker training for horses. Based on this, she took boarded him with a local clicker trainer for a couple of months; and took lessons. However, after two months, his behaviour was still unpredictable, occasionally scary, and potentially dangerous. That is when I received the next call for help. This time his owner asked me to take the horse, train him, and then find him a suitable forever home.
Since this was going to be fresh start for this horse, I decided to rename him and chose the name Dollar, the amount I paid for him.

I gave the owner the following two options to consider:

She brings her horse to me for two months of training at my going rate, continuing to pay vet bills, farrier, and deworming, as necessary. If after two months, she decides she truly isn't the right person for him, I give her 1/2 her money back and continue working with him or re-home to recover my costs.

She sells the horse to me for $1.00 and when I feel he is ready to re-home, she gets first dibs on him for the cost she would have paid me for training. However, if she still doesn't think she is the right person for him, I sell him to recover my time and costs, or keep him (don't tell Gord I said this).

Needless to say, she chose option two but was grateful to have been offered the choice of keeping him.

Gord and I went to pick him up today. That is when I discovered Dollar flies back and rears when he does not want to do something you are asking. It gave me the impression that he has learned to get big and scary so people will leave him alone. I also learned he cannot be tied, and when under saddle, he will simply lay down. Aside from that, I did find him to be curious and friendly; and not particularly reactive.

I spent a good hour doing intensive ground work exercises with Dollar until he relaxed enough for loading but it worked, he walked right in. Knowing that he does not tie well, we used a very strong bungee trailer tie and this proved very effective. It had some give but relieved pressure instantly when he wasn't resisting. He trailered exceptionally well and has settled happily in the paddock next to Magic.

For those of you interested in following Dollar’s progress, I will post his progress as we go.

Tovie & Dollar

No comments: