Sunday, April 22, 2012

Jack's progress continues

Gord and I took Dexter and Magic out to Wareabouts today to go for a ride with Rob and Sharon. It was a perfect early spring day and all the horses did really well, even over the creek that had huge blocks of ice break under their feet. It really is the perfect place to ride; with rolling hills, lots of creek crossings, bridges, and fields; not to mention great riding companions. There are even some challenging obstacles set up back at the ranch to further test your horsemanship. After the ride, I went to visit with Jack. I haven't seen him for nearly 3 weeks and was pleasantly surprised that he showed interest in my presence. In fact, it was the first time he ever made an effort to approach me. During the 3 weeks I played with him previously, he would allow me to approach but he never once offered to reciprocate. It was very exciting and I called Rob to come watch Jack follow me around the arena. Rob mentioned that earlier that day when he approached Jack with the halter, it was the first time that Jack offered to come towards him and that overall, Jack continues to get more comfortable around people. After doing TTouch over his body, I tried approaching his face and for the first time ever was able to do some TTouch on his jowls and forehead; as well as some ear work. Rob needed to change the dressing on Jack's injured leg and he asked me to "lead" him to the stall and Jack willingly complied. It was fun for Rob to see Jack being led without a halter and rope and I told him that is exactly how I caught Dexter; without a halter and rope. In fact I never tried to halter Dexter until I felt he was already "caught" without it - very cool to feel Jack doing the same thing. Rob has done a wonderful job of tending to Jack's leg and it is healing well, although he will be left with a nasty scar. Jack still wouldn't let me do TTouch on the injured leg so I can't wait for the next visit to try again. In the past, I have found TTouch a wonderful way to show a horse that there is no longer pain associated with an old injury. Happy Spring! Tovie & Jack

No comments: