Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Happy New Year

We at Just Horsing Around would like to wish all our participants a wonderful 2009 because you sure made our 2008 a very special year.

I made a big change in 2008 by leaving my downtown corporate job to Horse Around full time. Rush hour has a whole new meaning for me now and instead of making me cranky, it makes me smile. Getting cut off means our big old German Shepherd, Shilo is playing and jumping in front of me on the way to the barn or feed shed. Getting stuck in traffic means there is a horse in front of me that won't move out of my way. Merging is awesome because it means my horse and I are connecting beautifully, and I always get the best parking spot when my horse parks at the mounting block for me to get on his back.

The day after I left my job, I was offered my first training opportunity. Honey is a lovely 3 year old mare who had had some mishandling episodes previously and was quite mistrustful. Honey is the youngest horse I have worked with and now that I have earned her trust, she is turning out to be a very willing partner and a joy to work with.

What many folks starting out with horses don't realize, is that every time we handle a horse, we are teaching it; good or bad. By improving our handling skills and confidence, we can create more good than bad. This improves our relationship with any horse we are lucky enough to encounter.

Have fun and be safe Horsing Around in 2009,
Tovie, Gord, and the "Boys"

No comments: