Friday, June 27, 2008

Barefoot Clinic @ Lazy M Ranch

Last weekend Gord and I attended a barefoot clinic out at the Lazy M Ranch, NW of Sundre. For the past two years I have been studying and practicing barefoot trimming on my own. While the improvements to our horses' feet were significant, I still felt there was more to learn. There are very few certified barefoot practitioners around the Calgary area so I arranged to bring in a clinician from BC to host a clinic. The response was disappointing and the clinic was ultimately cancelled but I wasn't ready to give up my quest to keep learning. That is when I discovered Lane Moore out at the Lazy M Ranch. Lane is not only an extremely talented horseman and barefoot trimmer, he is also a tremendously patient teacher with a terrific sense of humour. His clinic will go down as one of my favourite clinics ever, and I have attended many. He and his wife Margie were gracious hosts for the entire weekend. We stayed at their beautiful lodge along a spring-fed creek, ate fabulous food, shared tons of horse stories and laughter, and discovered a key element I had been missing about barefoot trimming - confidence. For anyone wanting to learn more about barefoot trimming, I highly recommend attending one of Lane's clinics. Click on the title of this blog post to check out their web-site. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Happy Canada Day!
Tovie

No comments: